Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Suzzie "F" -- Taking the JDM motor from "Kick-3"

The gray 1992 "Kick-3" (my third Sidekick) has a bad 4 speed auto transmission but a very good JDM motor that I installed two years ago.

I am pulling to install in my "new-to-me" 1994 white Sidekick.  (Suzzie "F")






This picture is for showing how I remove the torque converter bolts.  A long extension reaching well past the front of the motor.  The extension itself keeps the motor from rotating.  (I wish this worked on my J18 equipped Sport!) 

Sorry but I didn't take any other pictures of the actual engine pull.

Looks pretty good for being installed and running for two years.



This is the older style 16v manifold, used up to about 1995 on "federal" models.  These have two down pipes to the cat and have the advantages of a tri-y headers.  This manifold has a very small crack in the #4 tube.






This is the "newer" style single down tube 16v manifold used on most 1996 and up.  They where also used before 1996 in some markets... like California.   My 1994 is a Cali market vehicle.  This particluar manifold came to me with the JDM motor.  It is not cracked.  (rare)








I am also using the EGR valve with the thermo-probe.  I need to remove the work around resistor I installed in the plug.  My 1992 had a 1994 Cali ECU that expects a thermo-probe.  The resistor "turned off" the constant CEL it had when I bought it.





My parts car (1994 8v) came to me with a hole in the timing belt cover, allowing the timing to be verified without pulling the cover.  It had a plug that didn't fit the hole I drilled.  I covered the hole with duct tape.  It came in handy when installing the distributor.

No comments:

Post a Comment