Wednesday, October 26, 2016

T3 ECU Caps. (T3 part 3)

From all my reading I "know" the OEM Rubycon, high failure rate caps should be replaced. I opened my ECU. It looked to be original and unmolested. There were three Rubycon caps, two black and one blue.




I ordered replacement caps but kept reading.

In my reading, I came across a note that there are UPDATED Rubycon caps with an X or  K on the top.  They seem to say these Caps are fine. 



I am going to ask on the forum.

Stay tuned.

---- update 10/28/2016 ----

Advice from the forum:

"Even with updated caps, any electrolytic capacitor has a finite lifespan. As these are 20+ years old, they are due for replacement. I replace them in any new-to-me Sidekick/Tracker immediately, because I like to fix things on my terms rather than have a failure on a trail far from home. "

Thanks for the advice, I already have caps ordered, I need to practice up my soldering skills.  I haven't done PCB repairs in quite some time.... maybe 25 years?

-----------

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad I found ur blog......I have a 1996 Geo Tracker 2dr 2wd.....My blinkers haven't worked in a while and there are quite a few blogs u have here that will helps me out u and the Suzuki Forums....If I have any questions I will ask u...thank you for doin' this

    ReplyDelete