Wednesday, October 26, 2016

My Third Tracker (AKA "T3") Intro (part 1 of many)

I am behind on documenting my projects.

When I bought my #2 and #3 Trackers as a package deal, I was more interested in the white 1994 Tracker "T2".  The plan was to do a quick "fix" of the Black 1993 "T3" and sell it off to finance the higher quality rebuild on T2.

White Tracker on the trailer is "T2"






The black Tracker is "T3" as bought.





The more I looked at both of them, the harder T2 looks to fix properly.  I am starting with T3 while I think about how to attack T2.

While T3 ran and drove, I even drove it home but it ran very poorly.  While I have been doing little things to T3.  Changed the left front fender, left outside door handle the door panels and the grille, but I do not have pictures of these "small things."

But it pretty much sat for 6 months before I ran a compression check.  I ended up with ZERO in #1 and around 150 in #2,3,4.  (cold).  I used an inspection camera to see the top of the piston... it looked OK, but the mirror to look at the valves would not fit so I could not see the valves.

I pulled the head and found this:






Burnt exhaust valve in #1 cylinder.

Knowing it would be a while before the other Tracker needed a head,  (I was told it has a rod knock)  I did a compression check on T2.  It was good in #1,2,3 but #4 had messed up threads for the spark plug... I could not get a good reading.  Figuring it was good enough, I pulled the head, cleaned it up and fixed the threads in the spark plug holes.


Almost ready for use.  It still needs a new front seal and O-rings for the distributor.





No comments:

Post a Comment