Thursday, October 27, 2016

T3 5 speed transmission and transfer case (T3 part 5)

T3 5 speed transmission and transfer case (T3 part 5)

I drove this thing home.  I even test drove it before I bought it.  I THOUGHT the 4x4 worked, but I really did not do much in the time I had.

Anyway the transfer case has a problem with the front output.  The driveshaft is stuck in it and it will not rotate.  Putting it in any 4x4 position, has no effect.

I suspect the chain is toast and this whole thing needs redone.

Separating the T-Case from the transmission, I found a quart or so of lube in the space between them.  That should be a dry space.

Here is what was in there:






The missing seal was loose in the same space.  Both seals had been held it by RTV.  The lube had a strong sulfur odor... something I associate with "non-yellow metal safe" GL5 lube, that should NOT be used in either the T case or Transmissions.  While it is good for the gear design in the differentials, it is bad for the brass parts found in the center of the car.  (Use GL4 only there.)

Something tells be that this transmission has been "rebuilt" and now needs gone into ... again .... just to see if everything is OK.

Looking on my "spare" shelf I see this transmission:
 

It is a JDM 1998 5 speed transmission I bought a while back for a project that went another direction.  From what I understand, the only difference are the output splines on the transfer case.  If I could find the correct drive shafts, it would work.... but that is also one of the reasons that project changed directions.

Hold on...   Right next to it, is the 3 speed auto with T case, that came with a 1989 basket case project.  Looks like it will fit.  Drive shaft splines are the same as the 1993.

Here it is separated from the transmission:


Next step here is to clean it up and inspect both this T case and the '98 trans.

No comments:

Post a Comment