Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Recovery of Number 3 Coach -- part two

It took 3 days, but after reinstalling the instrument cluster, going through the wiring and disconnecting anything that I didn't need to get home. Tying up all the disconnected items, changing the oil (and just adding enough oil to ensure it was "full") Patching together the exhaust, Picked up a travel permit from DMV. Installed the carb from my 1973, charging up the old battery... I tried to start it.

The fuel pump was bad. The parts stores in town couldn't even order one for two days. Installed an electric pump. and by passed the mechanical. Installed the new Eagle wheels I brought from home with rubber bought in Moab.

Got the blinkers working and figured out why the headlights would not work. (The relays the PO added had corroded and needed replacement. Jury rigged the towd wiring and hit the road.

The PO let me stay in his house and even fed me breakfast and dinner each day. Thanks Larry!


Larry's former house.


It took me three days to get home, it ran fairly well for 120 miles then started getting symptoms of vapor lock or a bad ignition module. I also need to find relays for the headlights before dark. So I stopped at quite a few Auto parts stores in the Salt Lake area. I made it into Idaho and stopped a Wal-Mart. In the morning, in a pouring rain, I moved the fuel pump from up front (near the non-functional mechanical one) to next to the tank. I limped the coach... through the rain into Oregon. I pulled the filters and found them full of rust. Figuring the tanks had rusted while sitting for years, I bought a gas tank for and outboard boat motor. I also picked up one more fuel pump. the following pictures show how I drove the last day to get home.

6 gallons at 7 or 8 mpg doesn't give much range.








As I had disconnected all the house wiring, I used the house side of the isolator to power the fuel pump. As a safety feature... If the engine stops, there will be no alternator output... nothing will be applied across the isolator to power the pump. But I needed a way to prime the carb before starting... the boost solenoid was right there... already wired in!

You like my center console? A plastic slim line cooler and two new mufflers in boxes, all strapped to the dash. My netbook with GPS software helped me find gas stations and auto parts stores. The horn is activated by grounding the wire in the center of the wheel.


The air system leaked when I applied pressure. I did not trouble shoot. I just installed tank valves. (I had to use 1/8 inch with 1/4 inch adapters.)

This picture was taken the day after getting home. After I took the Eagle wheels and tires and installed them on my other Birchaven. We then left for the Treasure Island Rally.

Wife has gotten confused when I talk about the '73, the '78 or the '77. So the coaches are now called "one" (the 1973 26 foot exPainted Desert) "two (the 1978 23 foot rear bath Birchaven) and "three" (the 1977 23 foot Birchaven).

So... Three has landed. Now to get the title in my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment