Monday, December 21, 2015

1998 Tracker passes emissions... but there is a catch

After much cleaning of the EGR passages, The last day of my temp tag I was able to get the Tracker to complete all the tests.


  I used Torque software on the smart phone and a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter.

I had read the requirements for the ECU to run the EGR tests, so it wasn't hard to get it to run the tests.  Warmed it up. Drove a nice level piece of road without changing the throttle any.  Then decelerated for a bit.  Stopped turned off the motor.  after a few minutes, restart and do the same steps on the return trip.   


EGR passed.  (see the bottom item?)

Problem (the catch) is that the noise from the Transmission has gotten very bad.  It seems to "rattle" anytime the input shaft of the transmission is turning and never when it would be still.   I was afraid driving it would damage the transmission even more.  Maybe to the point of making it non-repairable.  I did not know the procedure to get the ECU to run the other tests but figured a long drive would do it.

But it was the last day I could drive it legally.... so I ignored the rattle took it for a long drive.  I also ordered a transmission from a JDM parts importer I had used in the past.


It worked.  First this:



Then these:



 I drove it home and ran it through emissions the next day.  It is good for six months.  So insurance is placed on hold until the transmission is changed.  At that time, it will be registered.  I do not really NEED a convertible in the winter anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment