Monday, October 5, 2015

The Tracker now runs like a top!

I have been working on the Tracker while it was still on the trailer.  I just did not have room to for both it and the trailer.  The flatbed is a little better than jacking on gravel.






The motor was now running but very rough.  It would not idle enough to start it and get out to check the motor.  I figured old gas and drained the tank and replaced the filter.  While I had it jacked up, I swapped out the wheels/tires with the set that came with the '94 parts Kick.  Both being two wheel drives, the different tire sizes are OK and gives a nice "rake" look you should not have with a 4x4.  Still on the bad gas theory, I also swapped out the fuel injectors with some I had on hand from a JDM motor.  While I was at it I replaced the valve cover gasket and adjusted the valves.

Still ran like crap even with new gas.


While it was on jack stands with the tires removed, I swapped out the fender with one I had laying around.  I also cleaned, treated and painted the damaged and rusted leading edge of the door.  



My clip on for the remote starter does not fit well on the lug on the starter, so I made an extension for it.  This keeps the normal system connected but provides a location to quickly attach the remote start button.  (Just make sure it is not is gear!)





After being able to start it while being at the engine bay, I was able to do the normal checks you do on a poorly running motor.  I found the "base" timing set to about 80 degrees advance! (Spec is 5.)






The distributor was all the way to one end of the slot. I had to turn it all the way the other way, remove the bolt and keep turning... this next picture shows the location when the timing was correct.

After I removed the distributor and repositioned the rotor to place the distributor bolt centered in the slot with the proper timing.

The Tracker now runs like a top!  Time to take it off the trailer and test drive it!

The motorhome handles this load much better than the Boo!



After the test drive around the block.  Being a smaller 2 door, with not much interior (or front bumper) and the stick shift, it seems very peppy compared to the 4 door autos I have been driving. 




What do you think of the "raked" look?


Next is to replace the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment